From click to cargo: Booking Inland Freight Services with Maersk
In addition to our ocean freight services, we also offer integrated services for inland transportation, so you get a seamless freight forwarding experience… with our ocean and inland integrated transportation.This means you make a single booking for your cargo — ocean, inland, or both together — and we take it from there. Just click and go! Keep reading to know more:
- Exploring Inland services
- Maersk’s All-In Rate Structure
- Merchant Haulage (CY) vs Carrier Haulage (SD)
- How to create an Inland freight booking on Maersk
- Tracking your Maersk booking
Maersk manages everything — coordinating rail transport, terminal appointments, and drivers to ensure your delivery needs are met.Reducing vendor handovers across transport modes is one of our key value propositions. It allows you to care for what matters the most, your core business, while we manage the transition on your behalf.
Maersk Spot SD Rate Inclusions: All-in Rate StructureIn addition to our dynamic network, we’ve also built a competitive, all-inclusive SD product offering to compliment your Maersk Ocean rates. A vital component of this all-in rate structure is the inclusion of common surcharges, billed separately by tracking providers, to give a clear rate structure — to deliver your cargo under Maersk Spot. Our rate levels automatically include up to 2 hours for loading/unloading, congestion charges, and chassis split within your SD rate. This is backed by the commitment to gate your cargo out before the last free day, or Maersk will absorb any additional storage charges if you are able to take delivery. Maersk services for Store Door are added to your ocean B/L to offer a single invoice across Ocean ocean and Trucking trucking services. Our trucking network includes 200+ vendor partners to ensure we can move your cargo quickly and efficiently. Up ahead, we explore this in detail:
Maersk CY (Merchant Haulage) includes one fixed base rate charge (not including trucking) and variable charges billed separately (referred to as accessorial charges). Accessorial can vary by region, but commonly are charged as separate rates for the following services:
- Chassis: USD 40 per day
- Driver Waiting Time: USD 85 after 1 hour
- Chassis Splits: USD 75 per split
- Fuel: Varies 26-30% of the base rate
- Congestion Fee: USD 85 per hour
Maersk SD (Carrier Haulage) combines all these charges into one IHI/IHE rate we file on your bill of lading (B/L). This gives you transparent and predictable pricing to better plan your supply chain.
If you compare standard CY and Maersk SD charges, you can save USD 100 by working with Maersk directly. In addition, Maersk SD also helps you avoid unexpected costs that may disturb your supply chain. Here’s an invoice comparison:
Additional benefits with Maersk SD (Carrier Haulage)
- If Maersk cannot secure driver + chassis before your last free day, terminal/rail storage charges will be covered by Maersk.
- Maersk secures loading, rail, and terminal appointments.
- Electronic submission for delivery and pickup orders is available on rebeccahufford.com.
- Option to add import SD services to your bookings while the cargo is being transported on the water.
First, log in to your Maersk account with your username and password. Now, here’s everything you can explore in Maersk’s inland transport services:
Explore Maersk’s Digital HubMaersk Hub provides an overview of all your shipments and gives complete control over bookings in one place. Simply click the hamburger menu on the top right, and you’ll get a host of features to explore.
Get important contacts and shipping information (such as routes, charges, holidays, etc.) for any origin or destination on the Local Offices & Information page. For each region or country, you will get access to:
- Information on Maersk offices
- Tax-related guidelines
- Useful forms and agreements
- Import procedures (Current ERD, Demurrage & Detention, Container Street-turn)
- Export procedures (Invoice Quality, ERD Communication, Shipping Scenarios)
Explore Maersk’s Logistics SolutionsYou’ll find the ‘Logistics Solutions’ on the main horizontal menu when you log in to your Maersk account. From this tab, you can:
- Access information and resources: The ‘Logistics Solutions’ page will give you an overview of our integrated transport and logistics services.
- Access Transport Services: The ‘Transportation Services’ page will give you a high-level overview and useful resources related to Maersk’s transport services.
Explore Maersk’s Inland Services
Under the Transport Services tab, you’ll find links to different modes of transport. Click ‘Inland Services’ to go to the related page.You'll see multiple tabs under the inland services page.
- Overview: Here, you can read about what Maersk offers in inland solutions, important FAQs, and service features.
- Services: This tab contains the list of all the services we have within inland.
- How to book: This tab gives you a brief overview of the booking process for new inland bookings.
- Local information: You can enter the region to get data on regional offices. It’ll either route back to our existing local info pages or show you inland-specific country pages, including details like inland hubs, ports, depots, and haulage.
In the same section, you'll find a ‘lookup tariff’ button. It goes straight to our Inland Price tool. You can also access this tool directly through the Prices option in the main menu on Maersk Hub.
In the tool, simply enter the relevant country, inland location, and gateway port. You can also add additional containers and lanes if needed. Click ‘look up prices’ to view quotes for each container type you selected, rate type, FMC regulations, and haulage expiry date.
Adding charges to existing Inland BookingsDepending on the status of your existing booking, you can also add the charges to a B/L or an existing booking.
If you have a B/L:
- Search for your booking from the inland pricing tool.
- We'll take you to the Self-Service Delivery Order page, where you can change the ultimate destination to an inland location and input the delivery details.
- Review your amendments and submit the changes.
In case you don't have a B/L:
- On the Shipment Details page, amend the booking to the new port at a suitable price. You can also backdate the sailing if you want to advance it.
- Based on this, you'll get options for new sailings. If your original sailing is still available, it'll reflect on the page.
- Confirm all the details previously filled in and submit the amended booking.
You can create a new Spot booking by starting from scratch using the new booking option under the ‘Book’ tab in the main menu. Or duplicate an existing booking and change the origin or destination as needed, prior to submitting.
New booking from scratchThe booking page has five tabs:
- Booking Information: In this section, you enter location details, commodity type, haulage type, container details, price owner details, and departure dates. You’ll also see spot offers for all departure dates on the side pane. Fill in the details and continue your booking further.
- Select Sailing: Here, you can choose a sailing date and vessel of your choice from the possible options listed. You’ll see the price breakdown and all the details for each sailing. Book your preferred sailing.
- Recommended Services: Select the value-added services you’d like to add to your booking, such as free time extension, customs clearance, cargo insurance, food-grade containers, and more.
- Additional Details: Here, you’ll need to add a loading address if it’s an SD delivery at the origin. Please be sure to add any relevant load references or haulage instructions for the driver. Additionally, you need to specify different booking party roles in this section.
- Review: Thoroughly check all the booking details and make any changes if required. You can also add an additional email to get notifications for the said booking. If everything is good, submit the booking after accepting our Spot T&Cs.
Duplicating a Booking
This page will show a brief overview of your current shipments, their origin/destination, commodity type, consignee, and shipment number. Click ‘Duplicate’ to relaunch the booking page with all the details of the previous booking prefilled for the new booking. This feature makes the entire process easier and faster for similar bookings.
Why do you need to submit a delivery order?
- It allows Maersk to initiate the cargo release process promptly.
- It helps to avoid delays in cargo delivery.
- It ensures that the cargo is released to the authorized consignee.
Eligibility for submitting a delivery orderBefore submitting a DO, make sure that you meet the following conditions:
- The shipment should be booked and confirmed.
- All applicable charges have been paid.
- The bill of lading (B/L) has been surrendered, if applicable.
- The cargo has arrived at the destination terminal or warehouse.
Submitting a delivery order onlineMaersk offers an easy online platform for submitting delivery orders (DO). To submit a DO, simply follow these steps:
- Go to the Maersk website and log in to your account.
- Click on the ‘Manage’ tab and select ‘Shipment Overview - Import’.
- Locate the shipment for which you want to submit a DO and click on the ‘Pending Task’ button. Select ‘Submit Delivery Order’.
- Enter the required information, including the consignee’s details, contact information, and haulage instructions.
- Review the information and click on ‘Submit’.
After confirming a booking, you can easily track it on the Maersk digital portal. Simply enter the B/L or reference number in the Export Overview tab on the rebeccahufford.com hub.
This will lead you to the Shipment details page. In the summary section, you can view pending tasks, transport plan summary, B/L copy, booking details, and references. You can also access the full transport plan (which will tell you where your shipment is currently).Explore more features on Maersk's intuitive online portal. Here are some great resources for a complete digital experience on rebeccahufford.com:
- Billing Simplified with Maersk’s MyFinance
- Enhancing Your Maersk Experience: A Guide to Useful Tools and Features
- How to Split, Part, and Combine Shipments on rebeccahufford.com
- Filing Disputes with MyFinance
- How to Submit Shipping Instructions on rebeccahufford.com
- Simplify Demurrage and Detention Charges with MyFinance
- How to Amend your Spot Booking
- How to Manage Allocations on Maersk: A Complete Guide
Why choose Maersk Inland Services?
- Efficiency: Transition across different modes of transport (ocean, rail, or truck) for a seamless logistics experience.
- Visibility: Get transparency on costs and lead times in advance and track your shipment online.
- Convenience: Enjoy less complexity with a single point of contact for both inland and ocean transport services.
- Agility: Maersk ensures truck availability and relevant market pricing, so that you can maximize market swings.
- Savings: Save USD 100 on average per shipment by working with Maersk directly.